It’s a great compliment to get a referral from a trusted client, friend or colleague. It validates that YOU are doing it right, they “know, like and trust” YOU, and really it’s not about the product, it’s about YOU. Yes “YOU” are the product!
You’ve shown that YOU can be trusted, are accountable, show up on time, respect them, bring value to the table with your expertise, you have built a relationship that can be long term.
How does this work when you participate in a business group?
Joining a business group can open the doors to unlimited opportunities and resources. It can put you in front of people that will become your personal marketing and referral team.
Groups like Connect Ottawa can help you get connected with people that:
- you may not have in your circle of influence
- are natural referrals to your business
- you can collaborate with
- are your community of like-minded people that can relate to business
- you can refer to your client and friends
- are a diverse group of business people sharing experiences
Platforms like this allow you to “fast track” your Know, Like and Trust and give you the tools to do this effectively with your peers.
Your group is an integral part of your business plan, work it and you will reap the rewards.
1. The way you present yourself in the group is a great indicator of how you will interact with the clients you can potentially be referred to. Are you:
- Prepared for presentations?
- Attending regularly?
- Actively involved in the group?
- Paying attention?
- Helping others?
- Do you stand out?
- Do you look and dress the part?
2. Educate and training:
- the benefits of your service/product?
- problems that you are solving?
- who your target market is? Age, status, hobbies, work, where are they hanging out?
- how to know who is a good referral? What are you listening for in conversations?
- why you stand out?
- how to refer you and what to say? by email, text, phone, or ?
Teach them a simple statement and question they can ask that will lead them back to you.
3. Lead by example:
- Start today and be proactive — start working your Net-Work and referring!
- Book a time slot with each member of your group and complete the above exercises – even if you’ve done it before, it’s important to “just do it” and educate yourself on how to refer your team to keep them top of mind.
- realize you are not “selling” to your group, you are building relationships so they feel confident to share you and their network
- take notes that you can refer back to — keep a journal or work your CRM
- make a COMMITMENT to each other to start “asking”
- be open to sharing your results
Participating in a group can bring amazing results when you are “all in”!
Building relationships one conversation at a time.